In 1830 the Northern Lighthouse Board built a pier/slipway as a servicing point for the Dunnet Head Lighthouse. In the 1970’s the harbour users formed a group called “the pier committee” with the purpose of maintaining the slipway. Later the group was formalised with a constitution under the chairmanship of Ian Munro of Clett Cottage, Brough.
1978 – After the near destruction of the slipway in a storm, the group raised money to repair the slip. Without this initiative, the harbour would have become unusable.
1983 The community group reached agreement with the Northern Lighthouse Board to take over the Board’s interest in the Harbour.
1985 The boat park was originally created by Mervyn Sinclair, a local and resident of Brough. Mr. Sinclair also helped with keeping the place tidy, and he and his father often launched their boats from the pier. The community group later concreted this part as well as installing a wall along the shore, north from the lighthouse store was built to give the cliff some protection from erosion.
1991 The community group installed rock armouring along the seaward side of the boat park as its own expense with money gathered from the local community.
1993 The harbour and surrounding land was gifted to the community group by Margaret Munro, widow of Ian Munro who was chairman of the group since its formation. Members of the committee each made a contribution towards the local costs.
The community group has now been formed into a company registered with Companies House Scotland.